The 3 match test series between India and Sri Lanka will starting from Wednesday 26th July 2017 at Galle International Stadium in Galle.
Both the teams have champion players in their side, even though Sri Lankan team is under transition, their new talent can’t be taken lightly.
India, on the other hand has players who can dominate this 1st test match and rest of the series.
Players to watch for India –
- KL Rahul – He is making a comeback to international cricket after his shoulder injury. KL Rahul’s form in the opening slot is crucial for India in this 3 match test series. With Murali Vijay absent in this test squad, India will bank on KL Rahul’s show. Rahul has a good temperament to play the spin of Rangana Herth and he poses a great skill to play the fast bowlers as well. Rahul showed a decent amount of touch in the warm up but he also showed the fear that he has of his previous shoulder injury which could happen again. Rahul therefore plays cautious as he was made to sit out for many months. His fear might not allow Rahul to be in his full flow and this can be a good for Sri Lanka and a worry sign for India. If this happens India would be in trouble because Abhinav Mukund is not in great nick and Shikhar Dhawan too is making a comeback into the test team.
- Rohit Sharma – Another man who is making his comeback into the Indian test team. Rohit Sharma was also out due to injury for a quite a while. Now he will be replacing Karun Nair into the test squad. Rohit Sharma is coming from a good IPL season and Champions Trophy’s performance. Rohit played some great knocks and that allowed India to come in the finals of that tournament. Against Sri Lanka his inclusion in the middle order makes the batting line up look stronger. In 2015 tour to Sri Lanka Rohit played some good knocks and now Kohli will want him to continue that performance in this tour as well.
- Kuldeep Yadav – This young lad has been the great find for India in all formats of the game. Kuldeep has impressed one and all by his excellent bowling performances. Kuldeep can be the answer to India’s overseas woes. With Ashwin struggling at the other end one may want to see young Kuldeep Yadav in action with the ball. The Chinaman is all ready to fox the Sri Lankan batsmen with his spin bowling. Kuldeep showed some of his abilities when he picked up 4 wickets in that warm up game. India will want bowlers like Kuldeep Yadav to dominate in this test series.
- Ravichandran Ashwin – He might be struggling with the form but everyone knows that it is just a matter of 1 good innings with the bat and ball for Ravichandran Ashwin. Ashwin is a champion player especially in the tests matches. He has won India many games single handedly in the past and now again he will be doing his all rounder duty on the field to make India win another series on the Sri Lankan soil. Even though Ashwin went wicket less in the warm up match, he can’t be ruled out of this competition. Ashwin will be back to answer his critics in a splendid way.
Players to watch out for Sri Lanka –
- Angelo Matthews – He has been and is a champion player for Sri Lanka for many years. He has been among the greats for the Lankans in the test matches. After giving up his responsibility as a captain, the world wants to see how Angelo Matthews performs in this test series. Angelo is quality player with the bat and ball. His presence in the middle order will give Sri Lanka more strength in their batting order. Sri Lanka has been down with their batting and a player like Angelo Matthews can lift the spirits up of the dressing room. If Sri Lanka wants to win this series then contribution from their senior player like Angelo Matthews will be important.
- Rangana Herath – The world number 2 bowler in the ICC test rankings. Herath has been the one man show in the bowling department of Sri Lanka. In this series everyone can see the fight between the world number 1, 2 and 3 bowlers. The Asian giants have been in the top 3 ICC bowler rankings. Herath holds the edge over Indians as he has done well against the number one test side. In 2015, when India toured Sri Lanka, Rangana Herath’s spell in the first test gave them a amazing win over India. If Sri Lanka continues to dominate like the 1st test match played in 2015 then no one can stop the Lankans from winning the series this time around and for that Rangana Herath has to be on top.
- Asela Gunaratne – The new match winner in the Sri Lankan squad? One may say this after his brilliant knock against Zimbabwe. Sri Lanka was struggling at one stage but it was Asela Gunaratne stole the show from Zimbabwe and made a record chase to see his team through. He is the best player to have in these sought of conditions. Asela Gunaratne was the one who took Sri Lanka home many times in the T20 series against Australia down under. Sri Lanka has found the new match winner in their team but Asela Gunaratne has to perform consistently for his team. He should be the new finisher for Sri Lanka now. Asela Gunaratne can be a perfect partner for Angelo Matthews in future.
- Nuwan Pradeep – He is the bowler who troubled most of the Indian batsmen in that series of 2015. His variations and skills with new and old ball is simply awesome and that can trouble any batsmen in the world. If Pradeep strikes early with the new ball then Indian team is in trouble. He just needs to strike early and dismiss the Indians very cheaply if he wants Sri Lanka to win this test series.