- For Sridevi’s cremation, large number of people seen outside Mumbai’s Celebration Sports Club. For managing this task, nearly 200 policemen were posted at the spot. Also, a police band was deployed in honour of Sridevi. The actor was a recipient of the Padma Shree award. People came from very far such as states like Karnataka and Chennai to get a last glimpse of the actor.
- Sridevi’s family had asked people to join them to pay respects to the “remarkable actor. “A beloved wife and loving mother”, The timing was held between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm. The Celebration Sports Club is a short distance from Sridevi’s Lokhandwala home.
- Sridevi’s last journey began from the club to the crematorium, around 7 km away, near Pawan Hans, Vile Parle West at 2 pm. From 3.30 pm, the last rites took place.
- The actor’s body reached Mumbai the previous evening after a three-day wait. Dubai authorities took complete time to finish the formalities, so it took, this much time to bring the body.
- Hundreds of fans waited outside the Kapoor residence in Lokhandwala for her return.
- According to the forensic report, Sridevi’s death happened due to accidental drowning which led to loss of consciousness.
- Sridevi, Boney Kapoor and their younger daughter Khushi had gone to Dubai to attend the wedding of Mr Kapoor’s nephew Mohit Marwah.
The late actress lived at Green Acres (Co-op housing society). She lived with her husband Boney Kapoor and two daughters. The Green Acres Co-op society has dropped the Holi celebration as a sign of tribute to Sridevi. The announcement said like, “There will be no music, rain, dance and colored water exchanges or the usual community lunch”.
- Anushka Sharma and team cancelled the screening of her upcoming film “Pari”, as a sign of respect to Sridevi.
- At 4:11 PM, funeral procession reached crematorium.
- The veteran actor was given gun salute. The event occurred at the Celebration Sports Club which is just few minutes from her residence.
- The actor’s body will be cremated with state honours. Conventionally, the current or former prime minister is entitled to the process of state funeral.
“For me it’s the most painful thing I have dealt with after my dad’s passing away. And her face is coming in front of me again and again,” said actor Rani Mukherji.
She continued saying, “The love she had for me was so tremendous and intense that I feel somewhere that I have lost a guiding light in my life. She has been my inspiration personally and professionally. She was very close to me. She was like my ‘maasi‘ I would say. She was someone I looked up to. I just feel there is one more person I have lost in my life I loved and who loved me back”.
The actress was widely known for her roles in Himmatwala, Mr.India, Chandni and several other films. Yesterday, the Dubai Public Prosecutors Office closed the investigation into Sridevi’s death. They said, “she had accidentally drowned following loss of consciousness”.