More than 1,500 of Reliance Jio’s 9,000 telecommunications towers in Punjab have been taken out of order, reportedly by farmers protesting against farm regulations, disrupting service in parts of the province. A representative of the telecommunications firm told that the towers had been struck due to physical harm, power disruption or robbery of the generator.
Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh issued a clear alert on Monday against the vandalization of cell towers and the interruption of telecommunications networks in the state and directed the police to take stern action in such cases.
Since last week, farmers have been venting rage against Dependence, snapping electricity, cutting telecommunications tower cables and destroying facilities owned by Mukesh Ambani, seen as one of the key beneficiaries of farm legislation.
In Jalandhar, some bundles of Jio’s fibre cable were charred. Videos of Jio workers being assaulted and forced to leave have been widely distributed.
So far, the state police have not taken any action against the suspects.
But on Monday, the Chief Minister said that he would not allow Punjab to be plunged into disorder or tolerate the devastation of either private or public property. Pointing out that his government had not objected to, or prevented, peaceful demonstrations in the province, he alleged harm to buildings and to property.
CM also reminded farmers that such a breakdown in contact would be costly for students, particularly those preparing for board examinations and professionals operating from home due to the outbreak of Covid. Even banking services, which are now largely based on online transactions, are having a significant effect, he added.