There are rumours of a fresh physical brawl taking place between Indian and Chinese forces, this time at Naku La in Sikkim, thousands of kilometres away from the current standoff at the Line of Actual Control in eastern Ladakh.
Reports claimed that the conflict took place three days earlier last week, when troops of the People’s Liberation Army tried to enter Indian territory.
The Indian Army’s troops refused to cooperate with the intrusion bid, resulting in physical clashes in which soldiers on both sides were confirmed to have been wounded.
Sources said that no weapons were used during the clash. The situation is stated to be under control.
It should be recalled that a confrontation had taken place in Naku La before the standoff began at several locations in eastern Ladakh last April/May.
The clashes happened just days before the ninth round of military talks between India and China, which took place on Sunday. The Marathon Corps Commander-level talks lasted almost 16 hours and centred on the disengagement of forces from all pressure points in eastern Ladakh.
It was confirmed that the talks, which began at 10:30 a.m., ended late in the night at 2:30 a.m.
Sources said that it was for Beijing to begin the mechanism of disengagement and de-escalation at pressure points along the LAC in Ladakh during the talks with China.
It should be remembered that almost 100,000 Indian and Chinese forces continue to be stationed in eastern Ladakh in the middle of the continuing border standoff.
In June of last year, troops from both sides had clashed in the Galwan Valley, in which 20 Indian soldiers and an undisclosed number of PLA men had died. This was the first occurrence at the border between India and China in almost five decades.