The Asian giants will take on each other in the 8th match of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017. This game is played at the Kennington Oval in London.
India had a perfect start to defend their Champions trophy title, in their opening match india defeated Pakistan by a huge margin of 124 runs.
As of now everything is in pace for the Indians, in the game against Pakistan, top 4 batsmen of India scored their half centuries. This is a very good sign before the Sri Lanka game and the semi finals.
Batsmen like Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan played well in their comeback game. Skipper Virat Kohli and Yuvraj Singh too batted beautifully against Pakistan. l
After his good performance against Pakistan, one can say that India has found a new finisher inform of Hardik Pandya. He is suitable as a perfect all rounder in the team. His 3 sixes of Imad Wasim gave India a target of 319 runs.
As Indian former player and current commentator Sanjay Manjrekar said it’s the bowling which is India’s strength and the Indians proved him right. Indian bowling line up looks good in this Champions Trophy.
For Virat Kohli it is a selection headache, he is in dilemma of playing with 4 bowlers or 5, should Ravichandran Ashwin be in the team or no and in whose place Mohd Shami will play? These are the question they are arising Kohli mind but thankfully the bowlers have responded well.
Pacer bowlers like Bhuneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah and Hardik Pandya are in good flow. India has gone with one 1 spinner instead of Ashwin they have trusted Ravindra Jadeja.
Jadeja has 3 skills that is why he is the most important member for India in 50 over format. With batting and bowling, Jadeja is a superb fielder. No one forget his accurate throw that dismissed Pakistan’s former captain Sohib Malik and also the catch of Babar Azam which he took while Umesh Yadav was bowling.
Such fielding effort lifts the team up.
On the other hand Sri Lanka is facing a plenty of problems, if they lose this game then they will be out of ICC Champions Trophy 2017 edition. it is do or die for the Lankans tomorrow.
The Sri Lankans had a disappointing opening match against South Africa. They worry as a batting unit more because they couldn’t play spin well against the South Africans, Imran Tahir ran over the Sri Lankan batting line up.
Sri Lankan captain Angelo Matthews fitness is still a concern and senior opener Upul Tharanga’s two-match suspension has added insult to injury.
Sri Lanka will also rely heavily on Lasith Malinga’s bowling. Malinga is the most experience player in the Sri Lankan side right now. So it will depend how he bowls.
Dinesh Chandimal and Chamara Kapugedara have been with the Sri Lankan team for a long time but they haven’t been the consistence performers for their side in this crunch game they need to step up and perform. –
- India Vs Sri Lanka head to head in ODIs – India always been a better team than Sri Lanka. Overall 149 ODIs have been played so far. India has won 83 and Sri Lanka has won 54 and 1 match was tied between these 2 countries.
- India Vs Sri Lanka in England – 6 games has been played in England till 2013. In that India has won 5 and The Lankan Tigers have managed to win just a single game.
- India Vs Sri Lanka at Kennington Oval in London – Only 1 match is played till now. India has won that game.
Player to watch out for India Vs Sri Lanka –
- Virat Kohli – Skipper Kohli started off very well against Pakistan. He was slow at the start but he managed to accelerate his innings at the right time. Now against Sri Lanka Kohli will be expected to do the same damage that he did against Pakistan. if india wins this match, India will seal the semi final spot of the Champions Trophy 2017. Kohli should aim for this he can’t keep this hanging till their last group match against South Africa.
- MS Dhoni – Vintage Dhoni is yet to be seen. He didn’t have a great season of IPL. Before the crucial game against South Africa, MSD should have a go before the Lankan bowlers. Dhoni just played 1 warm up game, that was against New Zealand but he got limited opportunity to bat because of the rains. Against Pakistan his services weren’t needed. Now against Sri Lanka, Kohli should promote him up the order.
- Yuvraj Singh – Vintage Yuvi was seen against Pakistan. Skipper Kohli said that Yuvi knock was game changing. If Yuvraj Singh continues to hit the ball this way then Sri Lankans will have to pray for the rain. It’s only the rain gods which could save them from Yuvi.
- Ravindra Jadeja – Star man for India. If he contributes all rounder against Sri Lanka then India will have no problems defeating the Lankans. India won the ICC Champions Trophy in 2013; Jadeja was the main player in that team. Jadeja is only Indian bowler to take five wicket haul in Champions Trophy.
- Lasith Malinga – Sri Lanka need this man to fire in this Champions Trophy. Malinga has bulk of experience that will help the Lankans. But off late his form hasn’t been good. He didn’t have good IPL as well. Many young cricketers hit him all over the park. Malinga needs to step up with the ball for Sri Lanka this time around.
- Angelo Matthews – The skipper will have to be fit if Sri Lanka wants to stay alive in this tournament. In his absence his team will miss a quality all rounder in the side. Matthews will have come up with new variations and ideas to stop Kohli and Co. Sri Lanka’s fate will depend on his captaincy, batting and bowling.
- Asela Gunaratne – He needs to replicate the show which he showed in Australia in a T20 series down under. Asela heroics allowed Sri Lanka their maiden T20 series in Australia. In this crunch situation Asela should up and play more freely against India. He runs lower down the order will be useful in the end.
- Nuwan Kulasekara – Kulasekara has good record against India. He is the bowler who might trouble the Indian batsmen with the new ball. These swinging conditions will suite a bowler like Nuwan Kulasekara. If Sri Lanka has a chance so restricting India then Nuwan Kulasekara is the man who can do it for them. His 10 overs will be crucial for the Sri Lankans.
The playing XI of Sri Lanka –
Angelo Mathews (Captain), Dinesh Chandimal, Niroshan Dickewalla (wicketkeeper), Chamara Kapugedara, Kusal Mendis, Kusal Perera, Thisara Perera, Sekkuge Prasanna, Nuwan Pradeep, Suranga Lakmal, Lakshan Sandakan, Lasith Malinga, Asela Gunaratne, Nuwan Kulasekara, Upul Tharanga.
The Playing XI of India –
Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wicketkeeper), Kedar Jadhav, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
The live broadcast will start at 9.30 am GMT, 3 pm IST, on Star Sports Networks and Hotstar.