Indonesia’s navy has declared its missing submarine had sunk. Following the discovery of items from the missing submarine over the past two days, Indonesia’s navy declared it had sunk and cracked open, effectively putting an end to the hope of finding any of the 53 crew members alive..
The presence of an oil slick and debris near the site where the submarine last dove off the coast of Bali, according to military chief Hadi Tjahjanto, was clear evidence that the KRI Nanggala 402 had sunk. Previously, Indonesian officials believed the vessel was only missing, but said the submarine’s oxygen supply would have run out early. Earlier, the Indonesian officials had hope and so believed the submarine was only missing, but that its oxygen supply would have run out early Saturday.
“If there is an explosion, it will be in pieces,” Navy Chief of Staff Adm. Yudo Margono said at a press conference in Bali. As the distance decreased from 300 meters to 400 meters to 500 meters, cracks appeared gradually in some areas. If there was an explosion, the sonar would detect it.”
Prior to this the navy came up with the statement that the submarine must have sunk to a depth of 600-700 meters (2,000-2,300 feet), much deeper than its collapse depth of 200 meters (655 feet), where water pressure would have been too great for the hull to withstand.